I’m excited to announce today that I recently bought another antique Rosback tabletop pinhole perforator, and after dusting it off, I’m ready to find it a new home!
A quick summary
This machine, which I think probably dates to the 1930’s or so, comes complete with its original wooden table and metal alignment guides. The larger guide on the rear of the machine appears to be missing one nut and a bolt or two, but it’s a remarkably complete piece. With table, the perforator weighs in the neighborhood of 85 pounds, and it has a footprint of approximately 26″×20″.
There is some wear and tear. That’s probably to be expected with a piece of equipment that’s close to 90 years old, but let me provide details:
When I acquired the machine, the perforating pins didn’t go quite all the way through a sheet of paper. Inserting small strips of metal (one of which you can see in the photo below) between the camshaft and each end of the perforating head resolved that issue; I have not attached those strips to the machine, but the future owner may wish to do so.
During shipping to me, one of the perforators metal legs was snapped off. It may be possible to repair this break, but it does not affect the perforator’s functionality in any way, so I’m leaving that for the next owner.
There are various cosmetic issues such as nicks and scrapes in the paint that do not impact the machine’s operation in any way.
Now, with those disclaimers out of the way, here’s the big question: does it perforate, and perforate cleanly? Why, yes it does!
Despite its flaws, this perforator has a full set of pins, and following the aforementioned adjustment using small strips of metal, it perforates cleanly. This particular model, like the majority of tabletop perforators in existence, can perforate a line of holes approximately 10 inches long.
In short, even though there are a few flaws, this machine works.
I’m asking just $650 plus shipping for this machine. If you’re interested in it, send a message to me, and I’ll be happy to provide an estimate for shipping cost. In addition, if you have any specific questions, I’ll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.
Update (2021-10-01): this machine has been sold. Thank you for your interest!
The Glaucoma Foundation joins reply envelope movement
Continuing what has become something of a series on nonprofit business reply envelopes, today I’m bringing to your attention a BRE included in a mailing that I received last week from The Glaucoma Foundation.
Although the envelope does not have any actual cinderella stamps attached to it, there are three pre-printed stamp-sized images: one picturing a flower and a butterfly, the second picturing a bird, and the third picturing a different flower.
As I think I’ve observed in the past, this sort of thing is far more interesting if cindrella stamps or labels are attached, but this is still an attractive envelope, and a definite step up from the undecorated BRE’s more often included in mailings from nonprofit organizations.
On June 1, New Hampshire-based Purgatory Post issued a pair of 2-sola stamps commemorating the successful launch of SpaceX Crew-2. The Crew Dragon spacecraft used for the mission launched from Kennedy Space Center on April 23 of this year, successfully docking with the International Space Station the next day.
One of the stamps pictures the spacecraft itself, while the other features a photo of astronauts K. Megan McArthur, Thomas Pesquet, Akihiko Hoshide, and Shane Kimbrough.
Crew-2 is not scheduled to return to earth for several months, with the next mission, Crew-3, currently planned for an October launch date.
As you’re probably aware if you’ve followed my posts about Purgatory Post, its operator, Scott A., is very interested in spaceflight. In addition to commemorating contemporary missions, he has issued numerous other spaceflight-related stamps, including an ongoing series marking the 50th anniversaries of each of the Apollo missions.
This update primarily includes spaces for new United States stamps issued since early March, but there is also a single updated page for the 2000–01 Flowers stamps that corrects a spelling error that has apparently been there since I launched The Philosateleian 15 years ago. Oops. I’m glad to be able to update that, too.
Thank you as always for your support and interest!
I mailed a batch of first day covers bearing copies of Philosateleian Post’s new whooping crane stamp last Tuesday, June 1. If you requested service, your cover will hopefully be arriving in your mailbox soon if it has not gotten there already.
When I checked my post office box yesterday, my cover was there, but the whooping crane stamp on it was a bit worse for wear, with the surface of the upper right corner of the stamp as well as much of the bottom of the stamp skinned off.
The self-adhesive United States stamp that paid postage was, however, unscathed as you can see.
All current U.S. stamps are self-adhesive, but when I see older stamps with water-activated gum used, or my own creations, more often than not they end up with part of the surface scraped off. I don’t know the physics involved, but it seems to be just one of those things we collectors have to deal with.