Blacksmith Shop Bridge appears on Purgatory Post stamp
New Hampshire-based Purgatory Post on October 19 issued the latest in its series of stamps picturing New Hampshire’s covered bridges, the first new release in the series in over a year. The 21-sola stamp pictures the Blacksmith Shop Bridge in Cornish.
The 96-foot long Blacksmith Shop Bridge, also known as the Kenyon Bridge, was built in 1882 for the princely sum of $873. The bridge was closed in 1974 due to wear, but following restoration in the 1980s, it was reopened to foot traffic only.
According to information provided by Purgatory Post operator Scott A., the bridge got its name due to its close proximity to a shop operated by a blacksmith named John Fellows.