Altai Republic, Russia
Belukha is far from the tallest mountain in the world, or even in Russia; its eastern peak, the taller of its two summits, rises only to 14,783 feet.1 The mountain is very remote, however, and aspiring climbers face a two-day horseback ride just to reach Belukha’s base.2 That, along with icy, windy conditions common on the mountain, prevented an ascent from taking place until 1914.3
Next: Berekhat Ram
- Mount Belukha Climb - 12 Days. LenAlpTours. Accessed 30 May 2012.
- Belukha - Uch-Sumer. SummitPost.org. 4 Aug. 2011. Accessed 30 May 2012.
- Belukha Mountain. Go to Altay. Accessed 30 May 2012.
- Benoit, Shelly, and Rod Georgiu. Mt Belukha. Sacred Mountain Expedition. 23 Aug. 2007. Accessed 30 May 2012.
- Gora Belukha. Google Maps. Accessed 30 May 2012.