Ahuriri River Clay Cliffs
South Island, New Zealand
Although they are known as the Clay Cliffs, the hills bordering the northern edge of the Ahuriri River are actually composed of layers of gravel and silt that have been eroded to create sharp pinnacles and deep gullies.1 2 The Clay Cliffs are located on privately owned land in McKenzie Country on New Zealand’s South Island, but the owners of the property allow visitors to explore the unusual formations.3 4 5
Next: Ailsa Mountains
- Clay Cliffs. Dreamlike GmbH. Accessed 29 July 2014.
- Clay Cliffs. Discover Omarama. Accessed 29 July 2014.
- Cook, Scott. Clay Cliffs of Omarama. MotorCamps.com. Accessed 29 July 2014.
- Sisson, Todd. Clay Cliffs, Omarama. Sisson Photography. 7 Nov. 2013. Accessed 29 July 2014.
- Ahuriri Conservation Park. Department of Conservation. Accessed 29 July 2014.